▪ Applause during introduction of players, coaches and officials.
▪ Players shaking hands with opponent who fouls out while both sets of fans
recognize player’s performance with applause.
▪ Accept all decisions of officials.
▪ Handshakes between participants and coaches at end of contest, regardless of outcome.
▪ Treat competition as a game, not a war.
▪ Coaches, players search out opposing participants to recognize them for outstanding performance or coaching.
▪ Applause at end of contest for performances of all participants.
▪ Everyone showing concern for injured player, regardless of team.
▪ Encourage surrounding people to display only sportsmanlike conduct.
▪ During the National Anthem, students, participants and fans should remove any hats, face the flag, not talk, place right hand on the heart, and remain still until the end of the anthem.
▪ During the National Anthem, when singing, follow the music and lyrics precisely.
▪ Yelling or waving arms during opponent’s free throw attempt.
▪ Disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, songs or gestures.
▪ Booing or heckling an official's decision.
▪ Criticizing officials in any way; displays of temper with an official’s call.
▪ Approaching officials at any time (during or after the game) to discuss the game and/or their decisions.
▪ Yells that antagonize opponents.
▪ Refusing to shake hands or give recognition for good performances.
▪ Blaming losses on contest officials, coaches or participants.
▪ Laughing or name-calling to distract an opponent.
▪ Use of profanity or displays of anger that draw attention away from the game or activity.
PLEASE NOTE: Officials are present to promote the game and the student-athletes involved. They make judgment calls in good faith based on their knowledge and extensive training. A lot of time and effort has gone into making sure that they know the rules better than you. Respect their decisions.
YOUR SPORTSMANSHIP REFLECTS DIRECTLY ON YOUR SCHOOL, YOUR COMMUNITY,
AND MOST OF ALL…YOUR TIGER TEAM!